Unable to setup freeradius server to authenticate from Unix username/passwords

Mohit Aron extproxy at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:26:13 CET 2012

> You shouldn't need to do that. The files should have freerad group
> ownership (at least it does last time I look on Natty), so freerad
> user will be able to read it. Did you test it and it didn't work, or
> did you THINK it wouldn't work so you do a chown manually?
>
> If it's the first, file a bug on launchpad, cause it's packaging bug.
> If it's the later, try with a fresh install.

They are all owned by root in Ubuntu 11.10. So it is a packaging bug.
I've also tried using Ubuntu 10.04 - there it is fine. I've filed a
bug already on launchpad.

> You need a third-party supplicant that can send passwords in cleartext
> (e.g. TTLS-PAP, EAP-PEAP-GTC).

Sorry I'm new to freeradius. How can I setup this supplicant.

I'd really like to use Unix passwords to authenticate and not create
another setup of passwords for users. The documentation on radius is
really sparse. If you can advise what all I need to just make my wifi
clients authenticate using radius against the passwd file on a Linux
box, that'll be super.

- Mohit