Next release of the server?

Alan Buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 22:10:23 CET 2012

Hi,

> This then begs the question: What are the support plans for 2.x once 3.x
> is released?

depends....on what you mean by support..and WHAT support.  if you are
thinking freeradius-users mailing list, then that depends on the mix
of people on there.... i think that 2.x is close enough to 3.x that MOST
things will be the same...eg unlang etc....but what i believe will happen
will be similar to 1.x to 2.x - as more people move to 3.x then the
support for 2.x will drop away.... given a year or two, anyone asking about
2.0.x or 2.1.x will probably be told to use 2.2.x or 3.x  and 1.x queries
will be just TOTALLY ignored :-)

when 3.x is finally released, we will probably move wholesale to it
so my 'on hand' 2.x systems will be gone...and I'll be telling people
to upgrade to 3.x  :-)

> disruption of upgrading to the new 3.x version. What will happen when
> problems are discovered in the last 2.x release? Will they be fixed and
> a new 2.x released in parallel with 3.x or will folks be told their only
> option is to perform a 2.x to 3.x version upgrade?

there were SOME 1.x released (security/bug) - i'd expect, in short term
that such will happen with 2.2.x - but anything that needs the new process
engine etc will be 3.x - no backport

alan