Unable to get freeradius server and client to communicate

Haroon Abraham haroona7 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 06:34:11 CET 2012

Server is run in debug mode (radiusd -X) The following is entered in the
clients.conf file:

client erx.radius-src-ipaddr {
        secret = juniper
        nastype = other
        shorname = ERX1
}
--------------------------------
Using netstat the server appears to be listenting on correct UDP port 1812
[root at freerad raddb]# netstat -a | grep radius
udp        0      0 *:radius                    *:*
udp        0      0 *:radius-acct               *:*

--------------------------------
Start Radius with : radiusd -X (debug mode) shows server listening on 1812

client erx.radius-src-ipaddr {
        require_message_authenticator = no
        secret = "juniper"
        nastype = "other"
 }

 ... adding new socket proxy address * port 38660
Listening on authentication address * port 1812
Listening on accounting address * port 1813
Listening on command file /usr/local/var/run/radiusd/radiusd.sock
Listening on authentication address 127.0.0.1 port 18120 as server
inner-tunnel
Listening on proxy address * port 1814
Ready to process requests.

Testing local to server works correctly but when I test from NAS (ERX)
there is no output observed in the debug window (radiusd -X). I used
tcpdump to confirm that packets are reaching the server.