Proxy-State in a CoA proxied request

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Fri Jun 1 12:12:52 CEST 2012

Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> writes:
> fab junkmail wrote:
>> I have tried filtering out Proxy-State attribute for proxied CoA in
>> pre.proxy section but it does not seem to work for me. Debug mentions
>> the following which makes me think it is not using the DEFAULT section
>> of attrs.pre-proxy:
>
>   You can't filter out Proxy-State.  It's added automatically.
>
>> Does anyone have any advice on how I can fix my config to be able to
>> filter out (or not add) Proxy-State attribute for proxied CoA? I have
>> included relevant parts of my config and debug below.
>
>   Edit the source code.  See src/main/event.c, around line 2200.

Huh?  The following works for us:

server coa {
  ..
       pre-proxy {
                update proxy-request {
                        Proxy-State !* 0

>   The real answer is to call the NAS vendor, and tell them their product
> violates RFC 3576.  It's been out for nearly a decade, so there is NO
> EXCUSE.

Well, that is on my todo-list for some rainy day.  But I must admit that
it's easier to work around the problem than trying to break through the
support barrier...

>   If they give you trouble, email me off-list.  I'll call the people
> they report to.

The thing is, you cannot exactly claim a bug like that is affecting your
network in any way, so it's not going to get a high priority.  Ever.
And I don't think the vendors are afraid of being named as RFC violators
either.

So the only way I think you're going to get this fixed is if you happen
to run into a developer and mention it during the conversation.

Bjørn