FreeRADIUS +Active Directory + PAM

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jun 1 15:49:34 CEST 2012

Jonathan van der Wat wrote:
>  Alan,
>
> I've been searching the lists for most of the day but haven't been able
> to come right. What I've noticed recently is that if I add the user on
> the test box with no password, and then try to sign on via ssh I see the
> following in the radiusd debug output:
>
> User-Password = "/*mypassword*/"

  That's how PAM works.  You need to have users in /etc/passwd for UID,
GID, etc.  PAM does password checking *only*.

> However, the user is still not authenticated via the FreeRADIUS server.

  Well... go read the debug output to see why.

> If I explicitly go and add that user to the */etc/raddb/users* file,
> then authentication works via PAP. How do I tell FreeRADIUS to use
> MS-CHAP for all users?

  You don't.  The authentication method (PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP) is chosen
by the client.  In this case, the pam_radius_auth module.

  And the "active directory" pages on my web set tells you how to
authenticate to AD using PAP.  This is documented.