Question on logging EAP/PEAP authentication rejections

Josh Hiner josh at remc1.org
Tue Mar 20 17:18:41 CET 2012

Well I eventually found and switched to using linelog to log access rejects
since I can define my own variables that are logged. Oddly enough
freeradius was showing a packet-type of Access-Request for eap
authentication failures. Since I was calling linelog only from the
post_auth_reject spot I just changed the Access-Request= definition to:
Access-Request = "Rejected access: %{User-Name} SSID: %{NAS-Port-Id}"
and the filename= line to be: ${logdir}/authrejectlog-%Y%m%d.log
(yep I could make a subsection to linelog with those changes but chose not
to).

So I am now logging username rejects as well as the SSID they are trying to
connect to. Im not sure why people kept telling me to read the spot above
the Post-Auth-Type Reject section. Here is a paste of the text above that
section.

#  Access-Reject packets are sent through the REJECT sub-section of the
        #  post-auth section.
     #
        #  Add the ldap module name (or instance) if you have set
     #  'edir_account_policy_check = yes' in the ldap module configuration
        #

This section was of no help to why usernames were not getting logged in the
detail logs for rejections. From my emails I believe I conveyed that I was
reading documentation and doing the best I could on my own without being a
mooch. The only reason I can think of such short and erroneous replies is
that some people helping on the list are generally annoyed by any
questions. That is too bad. A quick reply of "use linelog" would have been
helpful. Why not help people?

-Josh