Help about debug mode and python

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed May 16 00:33:48 CEST 2012

On 05/15/2012 10:12 PM, Alan DeKok wrote:

>    I'm not sure why you need to preload the python library.  It should be
> loaded automatically when you load the rlm_python library.

It's more tricky, I'm afraid , due to some python idiocy :o(

Basically, python modules (compiled as a .so) are not themselves linked
against libpython. This causes problems when linking to libpython from
another .so (e.g. rlm_python) and then importing those modules - they
don't resolve various symbols.

http://bugs.python.org/issue4434

Warning: reading that bug will make you either sad or angry.

"Use the static library, closing NOTABUG". Sigh.

I believe it's fixed in Python 2.7.

In my code, I worked around it by dlopen()ing libpython, as per the 1st
suggestion in the above bug.