Freeradius + OpenVPN Solution to Traffic Limitation

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Nov 1 15:29:01 CET 2012

ToriTori wrote:
> I need to limit the monthly traffic of OpenVPN users on my server. Example: After a 50G/month traffic limitation has been reached, the server will disconnect and reject connections from that user for that period of time.
>
> Everything seems to point out to Freeradius as the best solution! I'm just having problems finding any guidance to achieving this.. could someone please instruct?

  Well, FreeRADIUS does RADIUS.  OpenVPN does VPN, including traffic limits.

  You may be able to use RADIUS to tell OpenVPN to limit traffic.  But
this requires:

a) configuring OpenVPN to do RADIUS authentication
b) configuring FreeRADIUS to authenticate the OpenVPN users
c) configuring FreeRADIUS to send back the attributes needed by OpenVPN

  For the last step, you'll need to consult the OpenVPN documentation
for which attributes are required / supported.