radwho: No configuration information in radutmp section of radiusd.conf

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Mon Nov 19 09:15:21 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Angel L. Mateo <amateo at um.es> wrote:
>>> accounting {
>>>      detail
>>>      unix
>>>      #radutmp
>>

>>    Well, that won't help.
>>
>>    You're trying to use "radwho", but aren't logging accounting
>> information.  That means "radwho" will NEVER show you anything.
>>
>         I'm not sure about this. I have tried configuration with radutmp
> line commented and uncommented. But the fact is that radwho is loggin
> information, because radutmp is updated and if I use radwho -F <file> then I
> can see is not empty.

That's odd. The only thing writing the utmp file should be accounting
section. Did you perhaps forgot to restart the server after making the
change?

Anyway, from a quick glance at radwho, the relevant change is probably
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commit/41960ed2 . If
you know how to reverese a patch and build from source, you can try
reverting the patch (direct patch link:
https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/commit/41960ed2.diff)
and see if it helps. I'm assuming you have a non-empty utmp file
already? If it works, then you found a bug and pinpoint the source. If
it doesn't, then it's something else.

--
Fajar