Statistics on EAP methods widely used

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 18:46:17 CET 2012

Hello Stefan,

	Thanks for your reply.

> Subject: Re: Statistics on EAP methods widely used
>
> Hi,
>
> > I've been searching all morning for NRPS statistics but I have been
> > unable to find any online. I know there are eduroam people in this list... could
> they help?
>
> In eduroam, every identity provider makes the choice of EAP type all on their own.
> I.e. we do not have a central register of who uses which EAP type.
>
> Of course these things can be found out; if by no other means by sniffing the first
> bytes of EAP conversations on proxies to see which EAP type was negotiated. But
> seriously: what's the point?

I understand your view here and I don't disagree. My point is to firstly see which of them
are being used in practice and then try to identify why. In certain instances some of them
are more convenient/secure/etc than others, but when you know their popularity you can
start thinking of other questions such as why would you need to configure both PEAP and
EAP-TTLS for example. If providers are doing so there must be a reason and this is what I
wanted to see.

>From another point of view, I keep reading about "x being the most widely deployed" or "z
being the most commonly used" but no one backs up their claim. That's why I thought to
ask...

> There is no definitive answer which EAP type is "best", so you'll have to sit down
> and find out your own needs yourself.

I didn't want to find which one is the "best", because as you say this is in relation to
the requirements of the scenario. I more wanted to see what do providers eventually
support and what prevails in the real world (vs theory).

Thanks for your reply,
Panos