Statistics on EAP methods widely used

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Tue Nov 20 15:30:12 CET 2012

Hi,

> I've been searching all morning for NRPS statistics but I have been unable to find any
> online. I know there are eduroam people in this list... could they help?

In eduroam, every identity provider makes the choice of EAP type all on
their own. I.e. we do not have a central register of who uses which EAP
type.

Of course these things can be found out; if by no other means by
sniffing the first bytes of EAP conversations on proxies to see which
EAP type was negotiated. But seriously: what's the point?

There are a number of EAP methods which satisfy the IETF requirements
for "good" EAP types in RFC4017.

So long as you stay in the "good" set - pick whatever fits your local
situation best; some have advantages in certain situations, others don't.

There is no definitive answer which EAP type is "best", so you'll have
to sit down and find out your own needs yourself. And if you just want
statistics for statistics' sake... sorry, that kind of information is so
hard to get hold of, I'm reasonably confident that it won't be done
unless there's a real use case for it.

That said, we might get information of that kind as a by-product of a
configuration assistant tool which identity providers may use to make
their lives easier, and then maybe we could generate numbers from that.
Don't hold your breath though.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--