Statistics on EAP methods widely used

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 18:50:06 CET 2012

Hi Phil,

> > I've been searching all morning for NRPS statistics but I have been
> > unable to find any online. I know there are eduroam people in this list... could
> they help?
>
> As Stefan has said, it's a lot of work, and you'll need to justify it.
>
> However, in the spirit of being helpful - our ORPS stats for the last 4 hours,
> excluding our own users, show the following EAP types (in hex):
>

>       91 0d
>      501 03
>     4848 15
>     7540 01
>    35801 19
>
> So, about 75% PEAP, 10% TTLS, 15% identity packets, less than 0.2% TLS.

Thanks a lot for this specific results. Essentially you are proving my point :-)

At first you said that 99.9% is PEAP and practise says that 75% is PEAP (even in just 4
hours). Essentially this is what I am after, to see whether what I am reading online is
also what happens in practice (in terms of deployment and usage) (and then search why).

Thanks again,
Panos