Indeterministic EAP error

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 19:26:34 CEST 2012

On 04/10/12 18:10, Matthias Nagel wrote:

> That would be nice, indeed. But if the reason is signal strengh of a
> WiFi, then the numbers heavily depend on your WiFi coverage. So it is
> difficult to compare.

Sure.

As Alan says, it's the client that's going away.

Maybe search the logs of your wireless kit for radio-layer events.

To be honest, the rest of my suggestions are unlikely to help - it's
probably just wifi packet loss. We see this a lot. EAP seems to be
particularly susceptible to being interrupted, because it runs in
lockstep and upper-layer retransmits are simpler than something like TCP.

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/v2.1.x/raddb/eap.conf#L61

> of my AP. And second question: Does a wrong value for fragment_size
> always fail? Or to state it conversely: If a default fragment size of
> 1024 works most of the time (as it does with me), can this still be a
> reason for the failure, if it is too high?

I doubt it. I think it's set to 1024 "to be safe" and handle things like
weird IPSec tunnel MTUs, etc.

> At the moment I do the following: I pick the hex number from the
> error message and look for an access challenge, that has the same
> number in its "State" AVP. If this is the wrong way to do, then all I
> said before is non-sense.

That's right. The hex number in the message is the State value.