Indeterministic EAP error

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 23:44:02 CEST 2012

Hi,

> I found the entry
> #  fragment_size = 1024
> to be commented out. Does anybody has experiences with HP E-MSM 430 APs? Probably, this is a dummy question: I always believed that the smallest MTU that must be supported by an ethernet devices is 1500. Are there really APs that support less? I did not find anything on that in the specifications of my AP. And second question: Does a wrong value for fragment_size always fail? Or to state it conversely: If a default fragment size of 1024 works most of the time (as it does with me), can this still be a reason for the failure, if it is too high?

actually, wifi has bigger MTUs than that - around 2304 for payload - the problem is ethernet...which is USALLY 1500.

if you DONT set this, then the RADIUS server will cram as much as possible into each packet...and this your certificate,
its intermediates and CA root are all shover through some rather large packets... if you set this value - eg to 1024
then those packets are nice and tight.

alan