RedHat FreeRadius reload or restart?

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 15:46:46 CEST 2012

On 10/05/2012 09:24 AM, Mike Diggins wrote:
> I've been running the RedHat "version" of FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.3 for a
> few years. Each morning I update the users authorization file and run
> "service radius reload" for the changes to take affect. I recently
> patched the system, which updated FreeRADIUS to version 2.1.12. I find
> now that after reloading, using the same script, it appears to reload
> successfully but my authentications (through ntlm_auth to an MS AD)
> begin failing. If I instead use "service radiusd restart", it's fine.
> Did anything change between versions that would explain this?

Nothing changed with respect to how reload operates on Red Hat systems.
However I seem to recall some issue with mschap after the server was
HUP'ed to reload the config in some versions of FreeRADIUS I don't
remember the details of that issue, it's probably in the list archive.
Maybe someone else remembers better than I.

However, if you use a backend data store (i.e. sql or ldap) to store
your user data you won't have to reload your configs, just a suggestion.

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?