NAS features info

Koenraad Lelong radius01 at de-brouwerij.be
Thu Oct 11 09:17:18 CEST 2012

On 09-10-12 17:02, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Koenraad Lelong wrote:
>> Is there a document that I consult so I know what to look for if I want
>> more than just authentication with radius ?
>
>    See the NAS vendor documentation.

Then I hope the vendor makes available that documentation. At the moment
I'm looking for a Unified Threat Management device. The one I have on
demo just now (SonicWall) I hope to integrate in radius, but the
documentation seems unavailable before you buy.

>> I would like to buy a wireless accesspoint where I can "time"
>> user-access, meaning my users are restricted in time when they can use
>> the wireless accesspoint, and force them off-line when their time-window
>> closes. Because I don't know how this is managed, I can't decide which
>> accesspoint will do what I would like to do.
>> All such stuff, is that read/managed via snmp ?
>
>    It depends on the vendor.
>
>    There are hundreds of vendors selling thousands of products.  It's
> impossible to document the behavior of all of those products.

That's why I was looking for info of freeradius. If I can ask the vendor
: I need certain features implemented in this way, does your device have
that, I can eliminate surprises after I buy an expensive product.

>    Your best bet is to pay for a good product from a reputable vendor.
> The cheaper the product, the less features it has.

Bottom line, I need to ask the vendor : I need this and this feature,
are those features supported by Freeradius ?

Kind regards,

Koenraad Lelong.