adding operator-name to play nice with eduroam

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 18:11:52 CEST 2012

On 24/09/12 16:39, Brian Gold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've been up and running with Eduroam for a few months now without any major issues. It was just pointed out to me that we should
> be sending operator-name along with our proxy requests for better logging and easier troubleshooting if we do experience problems
> down the line.
>
> I believe I've got things set up now to send our operator-name along with the proxied requests by adding the following to our
> pre-proxy section in sites-enabled/inner-tunnel
>          update proxy-request {
>                  Operator-Name := "1simons-rock.edu"
>          }
>
> But I would also like to be capturing operator-name on incoming proxy requests. I can't seem to find any documentation as to where I
> would configure this though. Any suggestions?

Requests from other proxies are just like requests from clients - the
variable is just present in the "request" list in
authorize/authenticate/post-auth sections, and can be logged using
"detail" or SQL or whatever.

You will want to account for the fact that Operator-Name might not be
present; we use an unlang policy to populate an internal attribute
"Origin" conditionally based on presence and format of various thing,
including Operator-Name.