EAP-PSK : 16 bytes Pre shared key not configured

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 12:49:38 CEST 2012

On 27/09/12 09:37, alan buxey wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I've been hassling people who use it as to which EAP method they
>> need that's missing. A couple of them have been eap-psk (anyone know
>> why the sudden interest in that?). I've got a 5000 word assignment
>
> some student project?

Yeah, I'm doing a 2nd degree in my spare time - broaden my horizons, eat
up all my spare time, make me grit my teeth, etc. ;o)

> the current thing that holds interest for me is EAP-FAST - and therefore, in the future
> EAP-FASTv2 - aka EAP-TEAP
>
> EAP-FAST is currently the mechanism buried inside Ciscos MACSEC TrustSec

FAST and TEAP are a bit... thorny. I guess in response to how horrible
LEAP was, they've layered on a *lot* of stuff in there - multiple
per-inner-exchange crypto (re)binding, and the PAC stuff.

It's not entirely clear to me that OpenSSL provides the required APIs to
do everything that FAST/TEAP can on the server-side, but I think so,
largely as a result of Jouni Malinen hassling the OpenSSL guys to take
his patches:

http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?user=guest&pass=guest&id=1574

...although the sheer amount of *time* that took concerns me; if there's
a missing API it'll be *forever* before it's corrected.

I'd like to implement TEAP, if only because it's a good tickbox. I'm
less keen on FAST, since it's been theoretically superseded by TEAP, and
unlike PEAP/TTLS, FAST was never widely adopted. If FAST is easy by
re-using TEAP code, then that's good.

w.r.t. FAST/TEAP there are a couple of things to sort out conceptually,
specifically how to handle the support for multiple inner auths, and how
to "signal" which order and what the required chaining is. Until I have
a working prototype, it's difficult to wrap my head around.

Anyway - when I get a github branch working I'll discuss on -devel.
Unless someone beats me to it, which will make me happy ;o)