Execution of rlm code when remote server is not responding.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Sep 27 17:13:58 CEST 2012

On 27/09/12 12:32, Arka Sharma wrote:

> Thanks a lot Phil for your reply.Now actually in my rlm code I want to
> set a flag to mark the vent of server went down and invoke a java code
> using JNI that is part of rlm.

Sorry, I don't understand that. Can you elaborate?

It sounds like you have a custom module, written locally?

Modules process packets. So you can't run module code in response to a
"home server down" event (unless you emit a packet that your module
responds to, I guess).

> Can you please elaborate.I searched the file "trigger.conf" using "find
> / -name trigger.conf" but did not get anything.Do I need to create it by
> my own.

As I said, triggers are only available in the "master" git branch. They
are not available in the releases code (2.1.x, 2.2.0).

You will need to compile and install "master" to get triggers.

> In the proxy.conf I have old style realm configuration.Ip's for
> authorization and accounting hosts in the realm section.

Sorry, I don't understand why this is relevant.

>     It's possible you could do something in the "post-proxy" section
>     like so:
>
>     post-proxy {
>        Post-Proxy-Type Fail {
>        }
>     }
>
> I was looking into default.original in sites-enabled for this.Can you
> give me some examples for this ?

See:

https://github.com/alandekok/freeradius-server/blob/v2.1.x/raddb/sites-available/robust-proxy-accounting#L104

You'll still need to find out which server is down, and this is what
"radmin" does. I wouldn't bother with this post-proxy stuff - just write
a cron job (although maybe you could trigger the cron job from
post-proxy, for fast detection).