FreeRADIUS performance Issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Feb 6 14:57:13 CET 2013

QASIM RAO wrote:
> I am performing performance test on may RADIUS server and having a
> problem in result...
>
>  i am using java code for sending 100 concrent requests on my RADIUS
> server in log i got some chunks taking so much time more than 3 seconds

  It's not a problem with FreeRADIUS.  If you configure FreeRADIUS with
only the "users" file, it can easily do 50K to 100K packets per second.

> and also mysql is establishing too many connection arround 60 to 70
> connections... :(

  The problem is your database.  Fix it.  You probably don't have
indexes, or something else is wrong.

  You've made FreeRADIUS depend on MySQL, and then made MySQL slow.  So
when FreeRADIUS can't do it's job, don't blame FreeRADIUS.