DHCP howto

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 14:17:47 CET 2013

On 15/02/13 10:52, Igor Smitran wrote:
> What would need to be done in dhcp setup in order to have
> radusergroup/radcheck/radreply/radacct-alike behavior?

As far as I can tell:

  1. Figure our the SQL queries that return the "check/reply" and group
items you want for the values in the DHCP packet
  2. Configure those queries on an instance of the SQL module
  3. Use the config:

dhcp ... {
   # do radcheck/radreply
   sql.authorize
   # do radacct-like behaviour
   sql.accounting
}

The latter is necessary because "dhcp" blocks are post-auth blocks
internally, so you need to specify that you want "authorize" not
post-auth behaviour.

> I am trying to make it work with cable equipment (CM,MTA,CPE) but i am
> not sure how to start. CM and MTA would have static IP addresses (sql
> prefered because of additional replies: boot-file,dns,gateway etc.) and
> CPE's would have dynamic IP address assigned.

Dynamic IP assignment might require the sqlippool module; the server
comes with examples for this.