rlm_checkval: Could not find attribute named Calling-Station-Id in check pairs

Glassman, Stephen sglassman at choate.edu
Tue Jan 29 15:33:05 CET 2013

I know this has been talked about before but I cannot find information that is helping me.  I have read the sites/manuals about freeradius but must be missing something, probably simple.  I am trying to use freeradius for MAC authentication and see in the logs that the MAC address is coming through as the "calling-station-id" but it's not matching up on the checkval portion of things and I am not sure why.  Here are the 2 entries that make me believe the data is coming through correctly:

rlm_checkval: Item Name: Calling-Station-Id, Value: 00-26-bb-11-b9-9c
rlm_checkval: Could not find attribute named Calling-Station-Id in check pairs

but it's not finding the attribute.  I wasn't sure if I need to edit the attributes and if so, how do I determine what to put and where do I put it?  My other idea was this-is there a way to watch what the radius returns in terms of attributes....I am hoping there is just a definition or something somewhere that I need to change for the calling-station-id.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Steve