2.2.0 & dhcp: regression

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jul 12 14:07:11 CEST 2013

Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> Extra sockets got opened just fine, I see that with lsof/fstat here.

  OK.  But I'm not aware of any change in any code which will limit the
number of sockets.

> 2.1.12 has not this issue with same Perl.

  OK.  The rlm_perl module changed.  It added some locks to avoid issues
with Perl Clone and threads.  Maybe you're running into lock contention.

  i.e. it worked in 2.1.12 by magic, because thread-specific structures
were not locked properly.  Adding locks makes it *correct*, but at the
price of performance.

> Yes, that's a lot. That reflects high load we may have.
> We do not want to queue requests that may be processed in parallel.

  Queuing requests for a short time shouldn't hurt anything.  DHCP
clients will wait ~8 seconds for a response.

  Is your load really that high?  i.e. how many packets/s does the
server receive?  How long does it take to process one packet?

> We use syslogd's facility to send logs to remote log collectors
> using traditional syslog protocol (udp/514). Can "linelog" module do that?

  Yes.