2.x.x and radtest: no IPv6?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jul 22 14:47:38 CEST 2013

On 22 Jul 2013, at 13:32, Stefan Winter <stefan.winter at restena.lu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>> Does radtest not support IPv6? I could have sworn it did IPv6 earlier,
>>> but not totally sure.
>>
>>  <ahem>
>>
>>        -4                  Use IPv4 for the NAS address (default)
>>        -6                  Use IPv6 for the NAS address
>
> Uh. Sorry.
>
> Still... maybe for a later version... if the input looks like an IP
> address, guessing the address family isn't all that hard.
>
> I see that such a -4 -6 option is required for hostnames, but even then
> only if they return addresses for both families.
>
> ipv6-localhost only returns ::1. And ::1 successfully parses neither as
> an IPv4, nor a hostname, but as an IPv6 address. Both are unambiguous
> and could be auto-detected.
>
> That would add a little user-friendliness for users who didn't have
> enough sleep :-)

I've mentally scheduled a pass through modules in master to fix any places where it's IPv4 only, so i'll be sure to add that.

It'd be nice to get some feedback from people though... do you think you'll ever need to record both your NAS IPv4 and IPv6 addresses?

I'm guessing for dual stacking it'd be nice to record Framed-IP-Address and Framed-IPv6-Prefix, should they both be used to identify clients in areas like session management? It seems like the safest way of doing it to me.

But would it break things?
What if the NAS started just using the SRC IPv6 address in packets, and source IP protection was enabled?
Does this happen in the real world?

I don't have any experience managing an IPv6 enabled network.  Does anyone else? Or is it all too new?

FreeRADIUS Development Team