radsqlrelay: can't it just give up sometimes?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Nov 6 13:44:39 CET 2013

Hi,

> I think the issue with modifying radsqlrelay is that it's hard to know
> what a general, robust solution to this problem would look like. I guess
> the simplest solution would be to try a line for N times/M seconds, then
> give up and write it to a .failed logfile which the admin can monitor

That sounds good, ...

> However, if you're using the newer radsqlrelay which sends the logs in
> batches and uses transactions, you have to:
>
>  1. Rollback the transaction
>  2. Seek backwards in the log to your start point
>  3. Re-process from there
>  4. Remember the logs that failed and ignore them
>
> ...so it gets more complex quite quickly.

... but since I am using this, yes, the code complexity makes this a
non-trivial approach in the end :-(

> In the past, one solution I considered was writing "--" into the file at
> the start point of the failed query, which has the advantage of putting
> the "skip" state into the file and simplifying the implementation
> somewhat, but it has bad code smell ;o)
>
> As others have pointed out, decoupled accounting has some other ways to
> handle this; OTOH it can't handle post_auth and AFAIK doesn't batch
> insertions into transactions, so has some of the performance issues of
> the old radsqlrelay.

The batching performance hit is not an issue for me, but our queries
include post-auth ones. :-( Of course I could limit the radsqlrelay to
just those, and do the rest with buffered-sql. I'll see about that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Greetings,

Stefan

> In a way, what we really need is something like an ORM that maps radius
> accounting & post-auth packets to SQL in a more intelligent way than
> using string interpolation, and that could realise a mapping was going
> to fail before it tried the SQL query.
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Stefan WINTER