can't find new custom module (shared library object file)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Nov 7 04:13:28 CET 2013

Bill Schoolfield wrote:
> I built a customized version of the rlm_detail module. It was compiled
> externally against a version of freeradius built from source. The
> version I'm using is 2.1.12 as this version matches that of the
> installed YUM package for centos 6.x.

  That sounds like the issue.  The process of building from source
doesn't always produce the same thing as buildign RPMs.

  Your best bet would be to add your module to the distribution "tar"
file.  Then, update the spec file to create an RPM for your module.
Finally, do an RPM build which creates the RPMs along with your custom RPM.

> On another centos host (same version, 64 bit etc), I installed the
> packaged version of FR (via yum). Then I copied the rlm_billmax.so to
> /usr/lib64/freeradius, placed the billmax configure file in the modules
> directory and added the billmax directive to the default site file
> (accounting section) and yet freeradius fails to load/find the library
> file. I have checked the file permissions so that isn't it.
>
> What am I missing?

  You're manually reproducing the steps which RPM is supposed to manage.
 If it works, great.  If not, use RPMs.