Experiencing a proplem with pap authentication using Freeradius 2.2.2

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Sat Nov 16 15:40:54 CET 2013

dwnek at dollartree.com wrote:
> To me, Arran's wording seemed very insipid so I answered how I felt.

  His comments were about your mail client, not your person.

> Me: I got it working by uncommenting the "unix" line under the "authorize"
> section of the raddb/sites-available/default file. I am hoping that this
> was the best way to fix authenticating users via /etc/shadow?

  Yes... if you had read the comments in the configuration files about
the "unix" module, you'd see that.  This is documented.

  I'm also wondering how the user was supposed to get authenticated in
your original test.  The FAQ, examples, etc. clearly show how to add a
user to the "users" file.  You did that, but didn't add a password.

  Why?

> I am guessing
> that I should probably uncomment it under the "authenticate" and
> "accounting" sections as well?

  No.

  Read the comments in the configuration files.  They document why and
when you should use the module.

  Honestly, should I cut & paste those comments here?  Or are you going
to read them for yourself?