Question on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Nov 20 20:33:16 CET 2013

Milton Volz wrote:
> We are looking for help or guidance on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.

  In a general sense, *all* attributes are available to be in a
response.  That probably doesn't help much, though.

> We now need to use the FreeRadius to manage both the MN-HA and MN-AAA keys and respond back to the Cisco HA properly to complete the device registration back to the Cisco HA.  We have used the "3gpp2-mn-ha-shared-key" for the MN-HA attribute and response to the Cisco HA & tested this successfully, but are not able to find or determine what attribute to use for the response back to the Cisco HA for the "chap password" & "chap challenge" for the MN-AAA, which we are receiving from the Cisco HA.  We are trying to determine if such an attribute exist and if so, which one will do the trick.

  The only answer here is to read the 3GPP specs.  Or maybe the Cisco
specs.  That should say what to do when you receive a CHAP
authentication request.

> I hope this is enough information and understandable in such a short write up.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions or can point us in the right direction for the resources to resolve this.

  It's a lot of buzzwords in a short post.  But as with most things
RADIUS, the answers are nearly always the same.  Yes, FreeRADIUS can do
anything.  But *when* to do things, and *what* to do is not documented.

  IN fact, we can't document it.  Your issue is likely answered in the
3GPP specs, and we're not 3GPP people.  But you should be able to read
those specs, and then get FreeRADIUS to return the right thing.