Question on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.

Iliya Peregoudov iperegudov at cboss.ru
Thu Nov 21 06:35:37 CET 2013

On 20.11.2013 23:33, Alan DeKok wrote:
> Milton Volz wrote:
>> We are looking for help or guidance on what AAA attribute is available in the FreeRadius for responses back to a Cisco HA request for "chap password" & "chap challenge" from a Mobile device.
>
>    In a general sense, *all* attributes are available to be in a
> response.  That probably doesn't help much, though.
>
>> We now need to use the FreeRadius to manage both the MN-HA and MN-AAA keys and respond back to the Cisco HA properly to complete the device registration back to the Cisco HA.  We have used the "3gpp2-mn-ha-shared-key" for the MN-HA attribute and response to the Cisco HA & tested this successfully, but are not able to find or determine what attribute to use for the response back to the Cisco HA for the "chap password" & "chap challenge" for the MN-AAA, which we are receiving from the Cisco HA.  We are trying to determine if such an attribute exist and if so, which one will do the trick.
>
>    The only answer here is to read the 3GPP specs.  Or maybe the Cisco
> specs.  That should say what to do when you receive a CHAP
> authentication request.

Refer to 3GPP2 X.S0011 "cdma2000 Wireless IP Network Standard" document.
It is available for download from www.3gpp2.org. Part 2 "Simple IP and
Mobile IP Access Services", section 4 "MIP4 Operation", subsection 4.4
"RADIUS Server Requirements". It seems you already have implemented
MN-HA Shared Key Distribution. Maybe you need to implement IKE
Pre-shared Secret Distribution.

All attributes mentioned in 3GPP2 X.S0011 are defined in freeradius
dictionaries and "available" to be sent from freeradius to Home Agent.

CHAP-Password and CHAP-Challenge are never sent from RADIUS server to
NAS. This is stated in RFC 2865 and also in 3GPP2 X.S0011.