radutmp and sradutmp modules

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 4 23:21:16 CEST 2014

Matthew Ceroni wrote:
> I recently enabled Accounting and turned on the radutmp and sradutmp
> files. I am probably missing something simple but running radwho only
> shows the last person to login.

  The NAS is probably sending the same NAS-Port number in all accounting
packets.

> So if I sign onto the wireless or wired
> network, authenticate successfully to the radius server and type radwho
> is shows me as logged in. If another users signs on the output of radwho
> just shows them (always a single line of output).
>
> Is radwho meant to keep track of all currently signed in users? Or am I
> missing something simple?

  Run the server in debugging mode to see what's going on.  But I
suspect that the NAS isn't doing the right thing.

  You're probably better off using SQL for accounting data.  It will log
everything sent by the NAS.  The radutmp file is meant to store only
utmp information.  So things like Acct-Session-Id and MAC address just
don't fit in the file.