Imminent release of 2.2.5 and 3.0.3

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at ja.net
Fri Apr 18 22:30:54 CEST 2014

> > version of FreeRADIUS.  And the "can't upgrade" because of "stability".
>
> Sadly true, and I do find that odd. My leading theory is that e.g.
> wireless authentication is usually a task given to someone who doesn't
> really want to have to do it, and certainly doesn't want to learn
> anything about it - they consider it a fire & forget. So they're a bit
> lazy and unwilling to put the work in.

Ouch! Coming from an organisation who restrict themselves to vendor packages (and do NOT spin packages themselves), it is a bit unfair to brush everyone with the same brush, Phil.

When you have a tiny group (4 individuals compared to the 100+ support staff for the primary function of the organisation) responsible for the general upkeep of the network infrastructure, it is one less thing to worry about when the vendor is paid to take responsibility for the maintenance and provision of security patches in a timely manner. If that means not being 100% at the bleeding edge, then so be it. Stability is the absolute key requirement for an organisation like Diamond for example. Cutting/bleeding edge is by definition not quite that. :-)

That said though, I understand what you're trying to say. There is no excuse for not taking the official RPM SPECs and spinning things yourself if you can. Saying "woe is me" when the resources are there is just no excuse.

Happy Easter :-)

Stefan

Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a
not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238