Imminent release of 2.2.5 and 3.0.3

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Apr 18 23:58:57 CEST 2014

On 18/04/2014 21:30, Stefan Paetow wrote:

> Ouch!

You have misinterpreted the essence and scope of my complaint.

I've got no problem with people who run LTS distros and vendor packages
- we do that. It's extremely common, and I think it's a very sensible
default, and that the LTS distros provide, in the main, a good service.

I've got no (big) problem with people who mandate vendor packages
entirely. I think the legit reasons for that are very few, and I think a
lot of the time it's done for wrong reasons - "because ITIL" or "because
PCI" - but regardless of what *I* think, that is a choice people are
entitled to make themselves.

(I will say that if "stability" is an argument, then you MUST presumably
have local testing and signoff procedures. If so, it's unclear to me why
those can't be used to Q&A a local rebuild, but I'm prepared to accept
there are reasons. Like I said, local choice)

The problem I have is people coming for free help, then rejecting the
answers they get because they want to keep the old version that they are
PAYING for support on. That is impolite and, arguably more important, it
allows unfriendly vendors to free-ride and hides information from
friendly vendors about customer priorities.

Asking for help intially is fine, and asking for help building a new
version is fine. If you can't or won't build a new version, the right
thing to do is thank the free support for their time, then indicate
you'll push your vendor to do what they're being paid to do.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,
Phil