FreeRadius & ChilliSpot: Chap auth not working

Alvaro Aneiros Veiga alvaroaneirosveiga at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 10:34:39 CET 2014

Hello,

I've asked a question in another forum:

http://serverfault.com/q/653228/255461

To avoid duplicating I'll post basic info here. I've configured a captive
portal with ChilliSpot, everything was working fine. When a user makes a
login, the router send request to the freeradius server.

My issue is when I tried to change the accounting to MySQL. I've configured
a group to use with al the users wher I added Session-TimeOut and
Idle-TimeOut in the *radgroupreply*table.

I have also in the *radcheck* table defined the users with their password,
something like

'Username', 'Chap-Password', ':=', 'password'
> 'Username', 'ClearText-Password', ':=', 'password'

I'm executing freeradius debugger and when I try to login with the user,
freeradius fails and gives this message:

[pap] WARNING! No "known good" password found for the user.
Authentication may fail because of this.
++[pap] returns noop
Found Auth-Type = CHAP
# Executing group from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/default
+- entering group CHAP {...}
[chap] login attempt by "garcia" with CHAP password
[chap] Cleartext-Password is required for authentication
++[chap] returns invalid
Failed to authenticate the user.

I don't understand because there is a password defined in MySQL...

Any help would be appreciated.