Triggering a Disconnect-Request

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 3 17:39:55 CET 2014

Norman Elton wrote:
> I know I can use radclient to send a disconnect message to a NAS. Is
> there any way to trigger the FreeRADIUS process to send a disconnect
> message instead?

  Sure.  See raddb/sites-available/originate-coa.

> Ideally, my script would send some sort of message (something like a
> status message) that FreeRADIUS would turn around into a disconnect
> request.

  Uh... you could send FreeRADIUS a Disconnect-Request message.  And
configure FreeRADIUS to proxy it to the NAS.  That will work.  See
raddb/sites-available/coa

recv-coa {
	update control {
		Home-Server-Pool := nas

  You will have to set up a home server && home server pool for the NAS.
 This is because the CoA port is 3799, not 1812.  And, the NAS is acting
like a home server in *receiving* packets, instead of *originating* them.

  It's a bit annoying, but it follows the same proxy configuration as
normal packets.  Perhaps in a future version we could just add "proxy to
client" functionality.