radiusd.conf max request ?

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Fri Jul 18 10:29:51 CEST 2014

A client is not limited to 256 ongoing requests.
One client can (and will, if need be) use multiple source ports (for each source port, 256 requests can be ongoing), hence sending as many requests as it needs at a given time.

This is not exact science.
You need to do is evaluate the maximum total requests/s rate your server will have to serve.
Multiply that by your max request time, and you have the max requests FreeRADIUS will be handling at a given time.

BTW, the following comment in radiusd.conf is misleading, it should probably be updated :

#  max_requests: The maximum number of requests which the server keeps
#  track of.  This should be 256 multiplied by the number of clients.
#  e.g. With 4 clients, this number should be 1024.