FreeRadius Server Sizing recommendations

Patrick Machauer machauer at dhbw-mannheim.de
Wed Sep 3 08:16:01 CEST 2014

The bottleneck is ntlm_auth. Adjust the "winbind max domain
connections" directive in your smb.conf to your needs.

> A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk hat am 2. September 2014 um 22:50
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi,
>
> > I am not sure about the certificate size. But it will be using
> > 2048bit key. The concurrent authentication request will be less
> > than 10 per second. Backend authentication will use Active
> > Directory.
>
> so the limit/bottleneck will be your communication to AD (and any
> local disk stuff you might
> do such as accounting/logging (suggest asynchronous accounting
> logging) - a basic server
> (dual core, 2 or 4 Gb of RAM and some 7.2 or 10k disks or SAN)
> should cope with that requirement
> - you can validate this by performing the benchmarks on a VM - its a
> VM after all, so just spin it up,
> allocation vCPU etc and run tests ramping up through vCPU allocation
> and given resources
>
> on Linux you'll also want to do some basic OS tweaking to remove
> other eg network/TCPIP stack related
> issues - usual TCP/ethernet tweaks
>
> alan
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See

Patrick Machauer
Rechenzentrum

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
Rechenzentrum
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1278