Release of Version 3.0.4

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Thu Sep 11 15:17:55 CEST 2014

Nikolai Kondrashov wrote:
> Still, can you provide more details?

  String comparisons were sometimes handled inconsistently.  Let's take
regular expressions as an example:

	if (Filter-Id =~ /foo/) {

  The previous code would print the value of the Filter-Id to a string,
and then perform the regex check on the printed string.  That meant that
certain characters like ", ', etc. which were in the Filter-Id were
escaped " --> \", etc.  That escaping made it difficult to create a
regex which matched.

  The new behavior is that the regex checks are performed on the
Filter-Id string, without any modifications.  This means that " is just
itself.

  The good news is that this change should have minimal effect.  The
example Filter-Id regex above will work the same way, and won't have
it's behavior change.

  The ONLY change is for regexes, string compares, etc. which have
embedded quotes, backslashes, etc. in them.  Previously, the "special"
characters had to be escaped.  Now they don't.

> As this has potential of breaking user configurations, we (Red Hat)
> should try
> to be as specific as possible to help people avoid or quickly fix the
> issues.

  It would also help if RedHat upgraded their version of FreeRADIUS to
something other than 2.1.12.  That is causing ME problems for support.
People keep coming here to complain about issues, because you shipping a
version which is 4 years old.

  It works both ways.  If you want us to help you, it would be polite to
help us.  So far, the only contributions we've seen from RedHat are bugs
fixes for the RedHat builds, and complaints that we need to do more work.

> Or, if there are particular pieces of changed code which are easy to
> list, I
> can try to understand what changed myself.

  The git history is publicly available.