Maximum username length

Stefan Paetow Stefan.Paetow at ja.net
Tue Sep 30 12:22:12 CEST 2014

Username as in the RADIUS User-Name attribute?

If so, it's a standard attribute, so a length of 253 octets (250 would probably be safer).

Stefan Paetow
Moonshot Industry & Research Liaison Coordinator
t: +44 (0)1235 822 125

Janet, the UK’s research and education network.

On 30 Sep 2014, at 10:21, Franks Andy (RLZ) IT Systems Engineer <Andy.Franks at sath.nhs.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   We have a project trying to integrate pfsense and freeradus together to form a captive portal, not rocket science.
>
>   We’re going to attempt to pass a number of delimited variables through via the username field and split them at the freeradius end, mostly to avoid rewriting the php in the captive portal to use more orthodox existing attributes.
>
> Can someone confirm the maximum username field length? I can see in the RFCs that 63 is the recommended minimum nas length but there’s not much else I can see in there.
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html

Janet(UK) is a trading name of Jisc Collections and Janet Limited, a
not-for-profit company which is registered in England under No. 2881024
Harwell Oxford, Didcot, Oxfordshire. OX11 0SG. VAT No. 614944238