What can be defined in sites-enable/a_site

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Apr 14 23:21:44 CEST 2015

> On 14 Apr 2015, at 16:28, Alan Buxey <A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> But, really, why would you have needed >to start writing that site if
>> what I'm saying isn't at least partially >true?
>
> Sheesh.  You moan about lack of documentation and yet you then moan about the fact that documentation is being written!  Issues man.  Issues.

People complain about documentation, and, in some areas the server is lacking documentation, but for the majority of modules, and the server core, the inline documentation is complete.

If a config item isn't documented, it's generally because it's intended for use by developers.

Regarding the specific example in radiusd.conf there's some expectation that people attempting to use the server will be familiar in basic AAA concepts.

Reading RFC 2865/2866 are a good place to start in understanding these concepts. That's what I did 8 years ago when I first started using the server. I learned what 802.1X was and how 802.1X worked by reading the IEEE 802.1X standard and RFC 3748, then how EAP and RADIUS were related by reading RFC 3579.

In your case, if you read RFC 2865 and 2866 you'll understand what proxying means in this context. You can then make your own decisions about whether you'd want to turn it off.

In general FreeRADIUS sticks pretty closely to the terms and functionality described in RFCs and IEEE standards. Once you have that foundation the server makes more sense.

The commercially funded documentation is for those who don't want to spend the time amassing knowledge on AAA, or figuring out how the server works by working back from examples or descriptions of config items.

The main reasons for writing it are:

	1) It rounds out the project by providing documentation in a traditional format.
	2) It encourages traffic over to networkradius.com, which hopefully leeds to more commercial projects.
	   Commercial projects are how Alan and I can work on the server full time.

Alan D has attempted to get more community involvement in the documentation effort, and some people have stepped up. Unfortunately those people have also resisted coordination (passively), and so the result has been patchy.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team