RFC6929 - support for 4 octets vendorId?

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Dec 14 15:55:08 CET 2015

> On 14 Dec 2015, at 04:03, Vereecke, Katrien (Katrien) <katrien.vereecke at alcatel-lucent.com> wrote:
>
> Hallo,
>
> RFC6929 states that it is recommended to support 4 octets for the vendorId field.
>
> When I try to test this using  freeradius server , version V3.0.x I get the error :
> Errors reading dictionary: dict_init: /usr/local/share/freeradius/dictionary.alcatel.sr.ext[117]: dict_addvendor: Cannot handle vendor ID larger than 2^24
> Is it not supported yet in freeradius version V3.0.x?

No, because parts of the vendor ID field were overloaded unfortunately.

This limitation was removed in v3.1.x and the full 32bits are available.  This will not be backported, it was a 10,000+/- line change.

v3.1.x also adds support for (theoretically) unlimited nesting depth, though it's capped at 24 for sanity.
v3.0.x was limited to 4.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS development team