Weird issue - threads bottleneck in post-proxy section

Chaigneau, Nicolas nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com
Fri Feb 27 12:36:23 CET 2015

Hello,

We're using rlm_rest module, which is called in the post-proxy section of FreeRADIUS.

Trying to benchmark our setup, we noticed the following:
- FreeRADIUS cannot handle more than a handful of requests per second.
- only one, or two threads are used at the same time.

We've tried to use rlm_rest in other sections instead of post-proxy (for instance, authorize or pre-proxy) to do the exact same thing.
In this setup, the benchmark looks very different. FreeRADIUS handles many requests per second, and all the threads get busy.
(the bottleneck is the server queried through rest, which is expected)

I do not understand what happens in post-proxy.
Is there some limitation on requests parallel processing in this section ?

Thanks for your help,
Nicolas.