Weird issue - threads bottleneck in post-proxy section

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Feb 27 14:35:05 CET 2015

On Feb 27, 2015, at 6:36 AM, Chaigneau, Nicolas <nicolas.chaigneau at capgemini.com> wrote:
> Trying to benchmark our setup, we noticed the following:
> - FreeRADIUS cannot handle more than a handful of requests per second.
> - only one, or two threads are used at the same time.

  Some modules cannot be multi-threaded.  The server implements mutexes to be sure that the modules are used only by one thread.

  If that module is used, *and* it takes a long time to do it’s work, then all threads will block on that module.

> I do not understand what happens in post-proxy.
> Is there some limitation on requests parallel processing in this section ?

  No.  And the rest module doesn’t behave any differently in post-proxy.  What other modules are you running in post-proxy?

  Arran and I have discussed instrumenting the server to track time spent in a module.  That’s useful, but would destroy performance in a production environment.  Still, for debugging it can be very helpful.