Can radius send COA notification to host/process and port other than the one that caused the change in one of the entries (radius is using mysql)

Sourabh Pandit sourabh.pandit.elists at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:26:53 CET 2015

Good morning all,

I am a beginner user of freeradius so please bear with me if my question is
too basic, but please do point me in the right direction.

I am using freeradius 2.1.12. For this example consider the following
scenario
Radius

   1. radius server is running on IP 192.168.48.76.
   2. radius is using mysql for authentication.
   3. A user UserA is in the blocked list when we begin.
   4. Process Proc1 is running on 192.168.48.54
   5. Process Proc2 is running on 192.168.48.59, listening on port 20000
   6. Proc1 and Proc2 do not know about each other at all. I mean they do
   not even know if another process even exists.

I would appreciate if some one could tell me the following.

   1. If process Proc1 wants to remove the UserA form the blocked list by
   sending a request to the radius server.
      1. Can the radius server generate a COA message that goes to Proc2 on
      port 2000 and not to the Proc1?
      2. Is radclient the vehicle to be used by Proc1 to initiate the
      change in the user group for User A in this case?
      2. If the above is not possible, let's say the process Proc1 removes
   the user UserA from the blocked list by manipulating the sql table directly.
      1. Can the radius server generate a COA message that goes to Proc2 on
      port 2000 and not to the Proc1?

If it is possible, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

SP