Can radius send COA notification to host/process and port other than the one that caused the change in one of the entries (radius is using mysql)

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Jan 13 14:59:20 CET 2015

On Jan 13, 2015, at 8:26 AM, Sourabh Pandit <sourabh.pandit.elists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using freeradius 2.1.12. For this example consider the following
> scenario
> Radius
>
>   1. radius server is running on IP 192.168.48.76.
>   2. radius is using mysql for authentication.
>   3. A user UserA is in the blocked list when we begin.
>   4. Process Proc1 is running on 192.168.48.54
>   5. Process Proc2 is running on 192.168.48.59, listening on port 20000
>   6. Proc1 and Proc2 do not know about each other at all. I mean they do
>   not even know if another process even exists

  RADIUS has nothing to do with processes.  It only knows about IPs and shared secrets.

> I would appreciate if some one could tell me the following.
>
>   1. If process Proc1 wants to remove the UserA form the blocked list by
>   sending a request to the radius server.
>      1. Can the radius server generate a COA message that goes to Proc2 on
>      port 2000 and not to the Proc1?

  You would use radclient to send this message.

>      2. Is radclient the vehicle to be used by Proc1 to initiate the
>      change in the user group for User A in this case?

  radclient sends RADIUS packets.

>      2. If the above is not possible, let's say the process Proc1 removes
>   the user UserA from the blocked list by manipulating the sql table directly.

  That works, too.

>      1. Can the radius server generate a COA message that goes to Proc2 on
>      port 2000 and not to the Proc1?

  You use radclient to generate RADIUS packets.

> If it is possible, please point me in the right direction.

  All of the CoA configuration, including destination ports, is documented in the server configuration.