Copy-acct-to-home-server Issue

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Wed Jul 8 14:35:36 CEST 2015

On Jul 7, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Ricardo LarraƱaga <ricardo.larranaga at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right now, all my NAS are only pointing to one server (Lets call it
> server1). So server2 and server3 do not receive authentication requests,
> they just receive accounting packets from server1.

  That's simple.

> Now, with some NAS i also see issues where i miss accounting stop packets,
> and i end up with stale sessions. I am working on solving that, but in the
> mean time i run a script on all three servers that queries all NAS for
> active sessions and marks the stale sessions as Terminated.

  Why?  Just run the script once, and have it write RADIUS packets to a detail file.  Those can be replicated to every server.

> My script logs the stale sessions, so i can compare them between servers.
> My problem is that the stale sessions between the servers are different.

  Since you're doing RADIUS replication, packets can be lost.  If you were doing database replication, this wouldn't happen.

> Usually, server 2 and 3 have more stale sessions than server 1. This would
> tell me that there are accounting packets not processed or missing between
> server 1 and server 2 and 3.

  Or, they're received in a different order, and that causes problems.

> First thing i did was looking at the networking side of things. All
> interfaces between the servers run clean, they are all connected to the
> same switch.

  So that should be fine.

> So i am trying to troubleshoot what is happeing with these packets. The
> questions i have are:
>
> 1) My copy acct-to-home-server for each server configuration is as follows:
> - log all the incoming packets to a detail file.
> -copy-acct-to-home-server server reads the detail file and updates the
> proxy-to-realm control attribute so the packet gets proxied to the other
> server. Acct always returns ok.

  That should work.

> If i understand this correctly, in this configuration the packets are "Sent
> and forgotten".

  No.  See the debug output.  The packets are retransmitted until the server receives a reply.

> So if a packet fails to be received or processed by server2
> or server3, it wont be retried. The fact that all the detail files are
> empty makes me think that this is the way the server is working right now.

  i.e. all packets have received replies.

> Any ideas on how could i implement a simple "retry 3 times" policy?

  The server does this already.

> My
> issue is that since i proxy the packet, and and always return ok on
> accounting, i am not sure where to put the "IF packet failed to ACK, return
> fail". From what i see, it cannot be done   in the proxy section, unless i
> do something like:
> realm SERVER1 {
>
> }

  It's put into the Post-Proxy-Type Fail section.

> 2) I dont see anything in the logs that would indicate there is a problem
> with packets being sent to the other to servers. How can i catch these
> issues from the logs or debug perspective?

  If there's an error, it will be logged to radius.log.

> the only thing i can think of is
> to turn debug on for all the packets with packet-source-destination equals
> "server 2" and server 3" in server one, and go from there, but any
> suggestions would be appreciated, as that would basically be my whole
> radius acct traffic.

  It's RADIUS... it's imperfect.  If you want more reliable replication, use database replication.  But that has it's own set of issues.