Copy-acct-to-home-server Issue

Ricardo Larrañaga ricardo.larranaga at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:06:58 CEST 2015

Hey Alan, Thanks again for your help.
I have a couple of questions about some things you commented:

>> Usually, server 2 and 3 have more stale sessions than server 1. This
would
>> tell me that there are accounting packets not processed or missing
between
>> server 1 and server 2 and 3.

>  Or, they're received in a different order, and that causes problems.

Could you explain a little bit more what kind of problems could this cause?
Is it receiving packets in a different order for that user/session, or just
receiving packets in a different order from that server?
I would like to see it there is a way to minimize this behaviour. I read
that the server has support for radius over tcp. I don't know anything
about it, but woud it be possible to proxy between servers over tcp? Would
that solve the reordering issue?

The second question is about the following comment:
>> Now, with some NAS i also see issues where i miss accounting stop
packets,
>> and i end up with stale sessions. I am working on solving that, but in
the
>> mean time i run a script on all three servers that queries all NAS for
>> active sessions and marks the stale sessions as Terminated.

>  Why?  Just run the script once, and have it write RADIUS packets to a
detail file.  Those can be replicated to every server.

This was my first idea all along, and i have the code ready. i ran into an
issue though, I started using the server with the default calculation for
unique accounting session:

Acct-Unique-Session-Id :=
"%{md5:%{User-Name},%{Acct-Session-ID},%{%{NAS-IPv6-Address}:-%{NAS-IP-Address}},%{NAS-Identifier},%{NAS-Port-ID},%{NAS-Port}}"

Now, the problem that i have is that some of my NAS send both NAS-port and
NAS-Port-ID. Nas-port is not on the accounting database, so i cannot really
add it to the attribute, and that makes the accounting session ID
different. I would also prefer not to add it, as i dont use it for anything.

The options that i see are:

-Force all my NAS to not sent NAS-port (I am working on this, but it is not
solved yet. I am not sure how to do it yet, or if it is possible)
-Change the calculation so it does not include the nas-port attribute. This
would be my preferred option, but in order to do this (since i already have
sessions opened), i also need to update my database with the new
calculation. How is that md5 calculated? Is it a plain md5 of the
concatenation of the fields?

-I also tried to just put the acct_unique_session_id attribute in the acct
stop request, but it looks like the server overwrites it. Also, that is the
proper behavior, so i prefer it that way

Thank you very much for your help!
Regards