rlm_python and threading

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 13:44:20 CET 2015

On 25/03/15 02:32, Arran Cudbard-Bell wrote:

>>  From this I can see that requests handled by rlm_python are being served by
>> a single thread rather than multiple/parallel threads.  Does anybody have
>> any experience with rlm_python.py and/or know what I might be doing wrong?
>
> The rlm_python module is not thread safe in v2.x.x.
>
> It is(ish) in v3.0.x. Though there have been reports of crashes YMMV.
>
> The python docs in this area are terrible.

Yeah. Calling into an embedded python interpreter from >1 thread is hard
to get right. It's probably not a great fit for embedding into a
threaded server like FreeRADIUS, and I say that as a big fan of the
language.

It's possible PyPy will eventually solve this, although it's a way off
being ready for that use-case AFAICT.