ERROR: User-Name ... is not the same as MS-CHAP Name

Jim Seymour jseymour at LinxNet.com
Fri Oct 2 14:33:00 CEST 2015

On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 15:18:17 +0700
"Fajar A. Nugraha" <list at fajar.net> wrote:

[snip]

> @Jim: Is this a new installation intended to replace your old 1.x
> setup?

It's a new server installation, all of which is replacing the old
server: Yes.

> 2.2.x is EoL, and will only get security fixes in the future. While it
> makes much sense to stick with 2.x on established systems, you should
> probably jump straight to 3.0.x (use latest 3.0.x branch from git, or
> wait a few days until 3.0.10 is released) for new installation.

Assuming 2.2.9 is config-file-compatible with 2.1.12, I'd be inclined
to stick with that.  I spent a *lot* of time getting done what I've
already gotten done.  I really, really don't want to go through that
all over again.

> Having said that, see
> https://launchpad.net/~freeradius/+archive/ubuntu/stable if you want
> to use 2.2.9 anyway. Might save you some time and effort.

It will!  Thanks!

I believe that's the way I'll go.  14.04 LTS is supposed to be
supported until Apr. 2019, so I'm inclined to stick with packages to
the extent possible.

Just getting off an old, long-EOL'd Sun Sparc Solaris system upon which
I was *obliged* to build & install from tarballs all the time.  Looking
to leave that behind to the extent possible.

Do I understand correctly that if I install from that PPA, installing
"over the top of" the existing install, and choosing to retain my
existing radiusd.conf, that all future updates will come from that PPA,
rather than the official Ubuntu 14.04 repos?

Thanks,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is