Understanding debugging logs

Brian Julin BJulin at clarku.edu
Fri Oct 23 18:11:25 CEST 2015

David Hartburn [D.J.Hartburn at kent.ac.uk] wrote:

> If not, is the best method working backwards, checking for errors in
> each packet log? I am already filtering by MAC or User-Name to make sure
> I just have output from the session I want.

Getting radmin working so you could do that was a very good first step.

Yes, these can be cognitively overloading sometimes.

You rarely actually need timestamps so first try without -Xx

Using a very wide terminal also helps :-)

I would suggest once you have things working satisfactorily, stash some
"normal" transactions in a safe place.  Someday I do mean to get around
to scripting something that can strip all the less interesting transients like EAP
messages, MACs, and packet IDs out, but even without that, doing a diff between
a "was working" trace and a "broken" one can often help locate where things
start to go off the rails.