Understanding debugging logs

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Oct 23 18:53:14 CEST 2015

On Oct 23, 2015, at 11:15 AM, David Hartburn <D.J.Hartburn at kent.ac.uk> wrote:
> Is there any advised technique or tools out there to help understanding FreeRADIUS debugging output generated by radmin/raddebug?

  In v3, look for yellow or red text in the debug output.  But that's only in "radiusd -X".

  For radmin / raddebut, look for WARNING or ERROR.

> A lot of information is generated, but a method of cutting out repeated information or quickly highlighting issues in a debug session would be handy.

  Look for keywords.  If you want to know what's going on with SQL.... look for "sql", and ignore everything else.

  The information is printed because it's *needed* by someone.  It's up to you to filter through it for the information you want.

> If not, is the best method working backwards, checking for errors in each packet log? I am already filtering by MAC or User-Name to make sure I just have output from the session I want.
>
> This is not a complaint. We are currently moving from NPS so having useful debugging is brilliant and a whole new world where problems seem solvable! I'm always interested in anything that will make life easier though :)

  Yes.  Having debugging output is infinitely better than having no debug output. :(